Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A New Addition to the McMotte family

Maybe.

Sorry, Mama, I'm not pregnant. Give us time - we've only been married a month and a half!

Last Sunday, Marc adopted a dog. Marc has long wanted to adopt another, and now that we are through the wedding and the honeymoon, it seemed like a good time.

She is an American Bulldog, and Marc has always wanted a bulldog. Think more Spuds McKenzie and less Uga. Marc named her the name he has had picked out for as long as I've known him - Lullabelle the Ballerina Bulldog.


Lullabelle is about six years old and is the sweetest dog. She simply wants to rest her head in your lap and nap. She knows to sit, lay down, shake and kiss. And she smiles when she is happy!


And after a few accidents and getting used to our schedule, she is using the bathroom outside (not on the carpet!) and sleeping on her new bed next to our bed.

However, Lullabelle and Sandy Nell are not the best of friends. They tolerate each other well and in general ignore each other. There is no fighting over food or treats, and just a healthy competition for our affection.

But we have had three or four growling incidents that are freaking Marc out. I have been surprisingly calm about it all, considering I've had Sandy for 9 years and love her more than anything. I keep thinking that if it was a new child, we wouldn't return him or her, we would work through the problems. And when my brother decided to kick my butt and did - literally -knocking my tailbone out of whack and necessitating a trip to the chiropractor, my parents didn't give him back.

This past Saturday, there was a little incident and Sandy had her lower eyelid scratched. Marc was ready to return Lullabelle right then and there. But I said it was an accident (it was) and Sandy started it (she did) and it would be okay (it will!) It started to get infected with the discharge from her eye turning yellow. So Sandy and I took a trip to the emergency vet. I guess they see much worse there, because they kind of chuckled at me over a scratched eyelid and I had to admit I was there more for my well-being than for Sandy's.

I have really fallen for this new dog, and I want it to work out. But Sandy is my priority. So I talked to Marc and asked that we give it three weeks. At the end of three weeks, we can see how they are getting along and reassess the situation. If the girls are still not happy with each other, then we will contact the rescue group and give Lullabelle back.


So maybe we have a new dog. I hope so, but I fully realize that I may have to blog about a broken heart instead.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh I hope it works out with the new pooch!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'm not reading about a broken heart in a week or two. (pssst...Lullabelle is a GREAT name! The exact name of our 'ol yellow lab. Good choice Marc.)

McD said...

Thanks Melissa! And I am glad to hear we aren't the only ones who love the name Lullabelle. :-)