Friday, February 20, 2009

Gone Country

Marc had a conference in Nashville Saturday through Wednesday. I joined him for a few of those days so I could visit with my lovely friend Jenny and her lovely hubby Sean. Jenny used to work with me at UGA, and has moved on to bigger and better things as a development officer for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

The Hall of Fame - heretofore CMHOFAM - was amazing. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was blown away. It was a fabulous way to send several hours and I would go back again and again. If you are going to Nashville, it is a must!


The building itself was interesting and has a lot of meaning. I don't remember it all (Sorry Jenny! You were a great tour guide!) but I was impressed with the amount of thought that went into the design. From the air, CMHOFAM looks like a bass clef.



The rotunda - where the hall of fame plaques are housed - has a frieze that features the notes to Let the Circle be Unbroken, the quintessential country song. The front lobby is meant to evoke a front-porch feel, and the treatment over the windows is meant to evoke a railroad track - that ever present image in country music.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

You are the best -- I miss you!! We need to make plans to get together again soon.