Saturday, April 4, 2009

RIP, My Dear Lawnmower

Tonight I finally ran the lawnmower into the ground.

Literally.

I have mistreated and misused this poor Poulan mower. It was good to me - mowing over gravel and red clay in Stockbridge and then grass, clay and sticks in Athens. It has battery that always needed to be charged before I could cut the grass, and the tire that kept going flat. It had paint poured on it and long ago lost the cover for the headlights.

Last weekend, when I was ready to mow, the battery was dead yet again. Marc offered to get the gun and put the mower out of its misery.

And tonight it couldn't take my abuse any longer.


As I was cutting the grass in the front yard, the axle to which the wheel is attached broke, sending the left front tire rolling down the hill and the front left part of the mower into the ground. And sending the guys across the street into hysterics. As I walked to the door to get Marc, all I heard was howling laughter, with the occasional, "Did you see that?!" and "It rolled down the hill - it just kept going!"


They stopped laughing long enough to help Marc and I get it into the garage - Marc still can't lift anything more than 5 pounds.


I am thinking about calling a lawn service. . .

3 comments:

Melissa said...

This has me giggling.
Sorry about the mower, however ;o).

Mommy's 3 Little Monkeys said...

Oh my. . .sorry, but I can't stop laughing either. R.I.P.

Les said...

Oh wow. That is one rough lookin' mower. Poor thing. It's in a better place now!