Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ten Years Ago Today

I adopted Sandy Nell McDonald - one of the best days of my life!

I went to the Clayton County Humane Society and in the middle of a bunch of dogs yapping and jumping, Sandy was just sitting there watching. The workers asked if I'd like to take her for a walk outside and I said yes. And once she was outside in the grass, she peed and pooped. I knew this was the dog for me! She was 2 or 3 years old when I adopted her, and she had recently had a litter of puppies, but only one survived. They weren't sure of her breed, but I have always thought she is a Corgi/Golden Retriever mix.

She is still scared of thunderstorms, fireworks, loud bangs and laundry. And when she is scared she likes to hide in small, dark places. But her hearing isn't quite as sharp as it used to be. I've actually caught her sleeping through thunderstorms instead of waking me up and shaking for hours.

And I think she fell in love with Marc before I did. And I knew he was a great guy when I saw him with Sandy.

She doesn't like to cuddle much, so it's special when she does. She gets a summer buzz cut most of the year, but I let her get fuzzy and furry in the winter. And when she is really tired, she sticks out her tongue. That's my favorite Sandy look!

Happy Doggie Birthday Sandy!

No comments: