Friday, July 24, 2009

You Learn Something Every Day

As I was reading the comments on an article in today's Athens Banner-Herald, I had an earth shattering revelation. (which, from this paper, is extremely rare!)

Remember this song?

Yankee Doodle went to town,
Riding on a pony,
Stuck a feather in his hat,
And called it macaroni.

Macaroni actually has a meaning!! Did you know that? I thought it was used just because it rhymed with pony.

Back to the paper - there was a discussion of the definition of a hipster, which led to a declaration that a hipster is a modern day macaroni.

Huh?

Lucky for me, another reader provided the definition of Macaroni:
1. small pasta tubes: hollow tubular pasta, usually produced in short lengths.

2. well-traveled dandy: in 18th-century Britain, an affected, foppish young man who adopted the fashions, manners, and customs of the other countries he had visited.

Who knew?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Well....lookie there. I had no idea. I, too, thought it just fit with "pony".